Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The mission of the James B. Duke Memorial Library is to support University endeavors to produce graduates who are able to communicate effectively, think critically, learn independently as well as collaboratively, and demonstrate competence in their chosen fields by serving as the center of information in providing resources in all formats that empower our students, faculty, and users with the skills to successfully evaluate, analyze, and use information effectively in all areas of their life. (Revised June 16, 2015)
All Research Guides @ JCSU
Click HERE to see all the library's research guides.
Library General Policies
This list serves as a concise list of the general policies that govern the James B. Duke Memorial Library. If you have any questions about these rules please do not hesitate to contact us. A full list of our rules can be found here.
- You need your student ID or student ID number to check out materials from the library
- You can check out up to 30 items at a time for a period of 28 days.; overdue fines are .25 cents per day
- Course reserves are textbooks and other materials that are for use in the library only for a two-hour period.
- We have four group and seven individual study rooms that can be checked out for a three-hour period.
- Please keep your phones on vibrate, headphones at a low volume and conversations to a minimum.
- Food in the library is limited to only individual snacks and drinks with lids. Please, no Burger King or Bojangles!
Welcome to the James B. Duke Memorial Library!
Here you will find information about the library as well as the services we offer. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us!
James B. Duke Memorial Library Information
How to access the James B. Duke Memorial Library catalog to look for books:
- Go to www.jcsu.edu and choose “Library” at the bottom of the screen or type in library.jcsu.edu
- Scroll down to the dark blue section entitled "Select the Type of Material You Want To Search"
- Choose the word "Books"
- Type in your search in the box next to the magnifying glass; choose "Advanced Search" for more flexibility.
How to access James B. Duke Memorial Library databases to look for articles:
- Go to www.jcsu.edu and click on “Library” at the bottom of the screen or type in library.jcsu.edu
- Go to the “Services" dropdown menu and click on "Articles & Databases"; or, you can go to library.jcsu.edu/find/
- Choose the database you’d like to search. They are arranged first by college and then in alphabetical order and there are descriptions of what each contains. Our biggest database is “ProQuest Central” and it contains hundreds of thousands of articles on over 175 subjects.
- Off-campus students will be prompted for a JCSU ID and password. Your JCSU ID is your email address and your password is your email password.
- Clicking on the "Advanced Search" option in any of our databases will give you more flexibility in your search.
Fall & Spring Hours
- Monday-Thursday: 8AM-11PM
- Friday: 8AM-5PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: 2PM-11PM
NOTE: The library is closed the weekend before a University holiday (for example, Easter, Memorial Day, Labor Day)
Call the Library
- Main Line: (704) 371-6731/6732
Email the Library: